Friday, July 11, 2008

Overboard

When it comes to the opposite sex, I'm clueless. Especially the Egyptian type. There are so many things that baffle me when it comes to their personalities, thoughts, and everyday interactions. Not to mention the fact that they know nothing of moderation. Let me elaborate:

It's not uncommon for most of them to not have any contact with the opposite sex, thinking that it would be damaging to their reputations. Many of them refuse to shake hands with a male, and are not afraid to embarrass you if you hold out your own hand. They have an unnatural phobia of being photographed, which is understandable in many cases, however, if you're fully clothed and not in a compromising position, I don't see what the problem is. Am I wrong? Here's something that left me both confused and frustrated at the same time. It was a friend's birthday party (which was held inside campus because the girls didn't want to be seen with us boys outside the university walls) and alot of pictures were taken. They absolutely refused to let us leave until all the pictures were transferred from the cell phone of the guy who took the pictures to the phones of the girls. Am I wrong in thinking that they went a little overboard with the whole chastity thing? Or was that reasonable? Naturally when I asked them if they trusted us with the pictutures or not, they had nothing to say but "um...err..."

There is one thing I know for sure. They are not in the least convinced that what they are doing is the right thing. They only do it because it's all they know how to do, and because that's what their society dictates. They never have a clear-cut answer to anything. For example:
Me: "What exactly is the big deal for you to be seen with me in the street?"
Her: "Um..well...you know.."
Me: "No, I don't."
Her: "It's just...not propper."
Me: "why?"
Her: "......."

I think I can sum up this post in a few sentences. Egyptian females are petty, and can't think for themselves. And I feel sorry for them.

3 comments:

ßry™ said...

thanks for visiting my blog. interesting thoughts here huh! keep them coming!

come back to my blog when you have the chance!

http://bry-hq.blogspot.com

ßry™

Anonymous said...

I am a female and I am from a Western Country where I must admit it is a lot different. I don't think you should however assume it is the female's fault for what is happening. I think it is more a cultural thing, no? For example: if all of these females were brought up to think that it is unacceptable to have contact with males, I am sure it is something which has been engraved into their moral system. Just like people are brought up to be against pre-marital sex, drugs, drinking, and so on.
Religion probably also has a large influence on this too, and the females may think themselves less "pure" if allowing their hands to be held (as insignificant as it may seem).
I think the largest thing causing this problem however, are social norms. If females are not doing simple things such as taking pictures with males, shaking their hands, and so on, they, even if wanting to do so, feel as though they are unable to. As you said, their reputation may be ruined. This may not seem like a large thing to you, but I am sure to many it is.

Anyway, I think that was a very interesting post and thank you for sharing it! I really enjoyed reading it and it really got me thinking :)

The Little White Dove.

Tasray said...

I completely agree with 'little white dove' :] it's all about different cultures, and here I can talk about my own experiences. Being born in a culture where when your family is well respected and so on, as a daughter you have to be pretty 'safe' in social choices, I mean I couldn't go out at night and come back home drunk at 3 a.m. and expect my parents to let me in the house, let alone acknowledge that I was their daughter (not that I would want to.. lol).

Of course I don't act anything like what you mentioned in your blog, and I have many guy friends who I hang out with, but females born with a more controlled upbringing would probably not rebel against their parents. That being said, I was raised in Australia, and didn't have the most strictest childhood, but I did have far more constraints than the average western female.

Anyway, interesting blog, oh and thanks for the comment on mine :D