Thursday, July 17, 2008

Autobiography

Someone requested a short account on my upbringing and childhood, so I thought I'd add it here as a post for everyone to see. Don't worry, I'll keep it short.

I grew up in a small compound in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia surrounded by many of the world's nationalities. I think the fact that I was surrounded by such a diverse group of people at such a young age made me appreciate people for who they really are, rather than stereotypically label both them and their culture.
Around the time when I turned 10 I returned to Egypt for good, only to visit my dad in the Arab Gulf during the summer where he worked full time. The transition was, for me, extremely difficult. The people were different, the culture nothing like what I saw used to. I even had to transition from speaking only in English, to speaking in Arabic with classmates. This made me very uneasy and somewhat of a loner during my first 2 years or so. I think that the fact that no one sat me down and explained to me what that transition would be like, or what was expected of me made me unaware of what was to come, making me so awkward socially.
Nonetheless, I eventually got the hang of things by the end of middle school, and became more outgoing, making sure that people respect me for who I am, and not judge me because I'm different.
Today, after my first year of college, I've become what I'd have wanted to become when I first arrived here. I think I could have had much more amusing childhood experiences had I not been so...well, you get the point.

That's me in a nutshell, any comments are welcome.

4 comments:

Holly said...

What are your dreams and desires? You haven't mentioned that one.

I think it's important to grow up surrounding people of different races, different cultures and different personality traits. If we were all the same we would be very boring and I highly doubt that that's what God intended. After all, he's watching us.

I'm the only Australian born in my family. Sure my family are caucasian and english speaking, we're still been subject to the stereotype and bullied/teased in school. So I made friends with other people in the same boat as I, although they were all born in other countries.

It's important to be at least tolerant and accepting. That's how wars start.

Love to know more about you!

Miss M. said...

Hello! Thanks for the comment! I have a positive outlook on life, I guess you could say! I'm limited for time on the computer, I'll read more and type more later!

Voyager said...

I'm going to repeat holly there. What *are* your dreams/desires? No one can live without motivation! What's your motivation?

I'd like to think of myself as tolerant and accepting as you are, but I'll never know until I'm really put into that experience. I'd love to be, I guess I just haven't had the chance yet. In the meantime, I guess I just try based on what I know now.

Your transition sounded unbelievably difficult. Puberty is difficult enough without that kind of drastic change; clearly though, it's made you the wonderful person you are now - *no shameful flattery is intended*.

Khalid said...

my dreams and desires...well, I don't know. I guess I just want to be happy (as corny as that may sound) but it's the truth. I want to achieve what my parents couldn't. I want to be able to write what I want to. I want for us to be a family again (we may all live under the same roof, but we don't know anything about each other, and we're strangers to one another). I wish to be live peacefully, away from the drama of life - which is impossible, unless I move to the middle of the desert.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment...