Thursday, July 2, 2009

Omar Khairat

Anyone who follows my blog would know that throughout my posts, I've adopted mainly a negative, criticizing tone whenever discussing an issue. This post is not similar to the rest, because for once, I found something good to say about Egypt.

Last night, I attended a concert for the Egyptian Maestro, Omar Khairat. I'm the first to admit that when I bought the ticket, I had no idea what this man did for a living, or what it was that I was about to attend. However, as the talented Maestro waved his hands back and forth instructing the orchestra, I began to grow fond the the music he produced.

Each piece more magnificent than the one before, each utilizing as many instruments at one time, to produce the purest, and most beautiful of music. My personal favorite was: "Take Care of Yourself", a soft, slow, very touching piece that is still ringing in my ears as I write about it.

Not only was I surprised by his musical genius, but also at the amazing crowd which came to listen to him. There could have been nearly 2000 people in that tiny open-air plaza at the Bibliotheca, and not for nothing, for Omar Khairat turned out to be a very talented person, whom all Egyptians should listen to.

No comments: