Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bobos: An all new cinematic low

I'm not one for movie reviews, and the subject of this blog is far from that, but last night I had the "honour" of wasting 15 EGP on Adel Imam's new sorry excuse for a movie: Bobos!

As always, the za'eem (Leader), Adel Imam, has made yet another pointless movie, which tells the story of a man who did nothing, and fell in love with a woman who dressed like a prostitute. One would think that a motion picture with names such as Hassan Hosny, Ezat Abu Ouf, Lotfy Labeeb, Adel Imam, and the infamous Yousra, would amout to something, yet your hopes of seeing a movie that made you stop and think about it's story are quickly crushed like a bug under your shoe.

Bobos, who is the son of an important government official, is the object of Imam's bribes to get loand from banks. One would think that the movie would continue in that sequence to discuss the ramifications of bribes on both ends of the social ladder, but NO! The 70-year-old Imam, who is probably impotent and living on his former glory, proceeds throughout the 1.5 hours to massage women's thighs, french kiss countless women, including a disgusting, stomach-turning all out tonguing with Yousra in the end of the movie.

Other than the pointlessness of the movie, it's riddled with demeaning sexual innuendoes and connotation. I'll be the first to admit that I was laughing my head off all throughout the movie, but in the end what did I gain from the movie? what, if any, is the lesson I've learned from Adel Imam groping a thong?...

Therefore, I consider Bobos to be a new low in Adel Imam's cinematic career, as well as Egyptian Cinema, and I consider every penny they earn from this filthy, tabloid, TV movie a waste of the county's tax-payer's money.

No comments: